Thursday, March 27, 2014

Numbers 13:28, 31, 33

Numbers 13:28, 31, 33
But the people living there are powerful, and their cities and towns are fortified and very large. ..."We can't go up against them! They are stronger than we are! ...We even saw giants there... We felt like grasshoppers next to them, and that's what we looked like to them!"

Merciful Father,
You are compassionate and gracious; slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, forgiving our wickedness, rebellion and sin. Your Words remind me repeatedly how much I'm like the Israelites. You're leading me on the journey of a lifetime. You've promised me abundantly rich blessings and a full life. I've witnessed marvelous wonders - a drastically transformed life, miraculous healing, release from problems that have plagued me for years, freedom from addictions and much more. Yet, I still listen to and believe the naysayers. Forgive me O God, for not believing You.

I'm surrounded by powerful people who try to prevent me from advancing Your kingdom. They devour me with doubt and discouragement. They attack my abilities and adequacy. Their criticism makes me feel unworthy and unacceptable. They preoccupy me, stealing my time, talent, and treasure. They exaggerate the risk, telling me the mission is too dangerous or too difficult. Anxiety and apprehension besiege me. Their negative opinions have caused me confusion and chaos, robbing me of my dreams. O God have mercy on me for forgetting who You are and allowing these individuals to control my life.

Please dear Lord, set me free from the domination that people have on me. Fill me with more of Your mighty power so that in Your strength I'll courageously stand up against the opposition. Help me to make right choices based on Your wisdom, not intimidation. When I'm confronted by "big" people, please turn my eyes toward You. Gazing at Your awesome majesty, I can't look at myself or others. Focused on You, I'll be able to march forward victoriously, claiming blessed new territory for Your kingdom, honor and glory because of Jesus. Amen.

Who must you break free from in order to move forward to the land of blessing? Who's holding you back, casting doubts on your dreams? Will you believe them or turn to God, trusting Him and Him alone to prosper and protect you?

Did you know that the command, "Do not be afraid" appears 65 times in the NIV Bible?

Being afraid is not wrong in itself. As creatures living in a sinful world we should be afraid at times. The problem is when fear forgets God. - Ed Welch, When People are Big and God is Small.

No comments: