Monday, November 14, 2011

Job 16:2-5

"I have heard many things like these;
miserable comforters are you all!

Will your long-winded speeches never end?
What ails you that you keep on arguing?

I also could speak like you,
if you were in my place;
I could make fine speeches against you
and shake my head at you.

But my mouth would encourage you;
comfort from my lips would bring you relief."

O Lord! Let me learn from this suffering servant, Job. He was a man with a pure heart and right motives who had the utmost love and respect for Your Highness. Living in constant fear of You, he consistently made right choices. While he was a wealthy, confident and strong man, he was also a responsible parent and committed spouse who provided a comfortable lifestyle for his family. Teaching them to honor and glorify you was his passion and purpose.

When his entire world caved in and he was buried deep beneath the debris of depression - despondent and destitute - his friends were horrible comforters. Instead of consolation, they offered him criticism and condemnation. The words they heaped on him hindered his healing. Uncomfortable and uncertain of what to say, rather than silently supporting him, they spit long drawn-out speeches and futile suggestions in his face. There was no empathy or encouragement; only obnoxious, empty opinions.

O Holy Spirit, teach me from this example how to be a comforting friend. Let the words from my lips strengthen and soothe sad souls. When I don't know what to say, give me the grace to stick around, remain silent, and just listen. Give me a gentle and quiet spirit that brings relief to those who are broken by grief. I can't take away their pain, but I can hold their hand, cry and pray with them. My words don't have to be eloquent; they just need to be simple, sincere, and sweet.

Please dear Lord, show me who I can support in their heart struggle today. With a pure heart and right motives, I will go in Your strength and comfort them with kindness to bring glory, honor and praise to Your name. Amen.


Do you know anyone who is devastated and heartbroken? How can you encourage and comfort them with your lips? Be careful that the words you heap on them are helpful and not hurtful. The Devil would love to use you for his vicious attacks like he did Job's friends.

Ask the Lord to set a guard over you mouth, and keep watch over the door of my lips. (Psalm 141:3)

No comments: