Friday, July 09, 2010

Remarkable Encouragement 1 Thessalonians 3:7

So we have been greatly encouraged in the midst of our troubles and suffering, dear brothers and sisters, because you have remained strong in your faith. (NLT)

God, my Father,
Turn my way and look kindly on me as You always do those You personally love. Your Word is wonderful to me! The teaching of it, empowered by Your Spirit, gives light so that even the simple-minded like me can understand it.

According to Your Word, I should not be surprised by the suffering of Your saints. It is a resounding theme in the Book of Life - part of the calling You consider me worthy of. Steady my steps by Your promises so that the Tempter will not tear down the faith that has been built up in me. Rescue me from the grip of the wicked world so that my faith will not falter.

I long to live life Your way, being like the Thessalonians who made their spiritual parents proud. Smile on me and show me how to make my spiritual parents beam with joy. They have and are continually enduring difficulties, dilemmas, and distress as they boldly deliver the Blessed Message of Hope in their communities. Knowing that I am standing firm with You will be a remarkable source of encouragement to them, refreshing their hearts, and inspiring them to live for Your unshakable Kingdom.

Clear the obstacles from our path. Pour on us Your love so it fills our lives and splashes over on everyone around us. Infuse us with strength and purity so that we will stand together confidently in Your presence on that glorious day when our Master Jesus arrives with all his faithful followers. Amen.


Faithful reader, who introduced you to Christ? Who nurtured you in faith? Have you been tempted to turn away and give up? What do you think your faithfulness means to the one(s) who brought you to Christ?

I encourage you to pick up the phone and call someone who has inspired you in faith, write them a letter or send them an email telling them how God is working in Your life. I can guarantee you it will bless their socks off, and encourage them to persevere.

A few years ago I was inspired to do this very thing. Not knowing where my spiritual Dad was after 25 years, I wrote a three page testimony of my walk with the Master. Concealing my identity, I mailed it to every man with his name in the local phone book. On the top I wrote, "This letter is intended for the former guidance counselor at my high school. If you are not that man and choose to read on, may you be richly blessed. If you are that person, you can contact me at (my email address)."

Little did I know that this precious saint was persecuted for sharing his faith in the public schools, and was fired from his job. Like Paul, that didn't stop him from continuing to preach to students that Jesus saves! I can only imagine how blessed he was the day he received that letter in the mail after 25 years.

A spiritual Dad and daughter were reunited, and I am sure he's beaming with joy as he reads this Prayer Pal. Had he not risked his life to rescue me from the flames of Hell, and revive my heart, I wouldn't be writing it. One day, infused with strength, we will stand together in Glory.

No comments: