Friday, November 21, 2008

Persistent Prayer

Luke 18: 1-8
Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.'

"For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' "

And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"

Honorable Judge~
Your great compassion and mercy are unending. I am dreadfully needy like the widow, but have not been as persistent with my prayer life. Rather than constantly complaining to You about my on-going problems and pressures, I easily give up and give in. Forgive me for my lack of faith! Thank You for reminding me that I should always pray and not quit! If an unjust person buckles under my continuous badgering how much more will an honorable and patient Judge like You pity me when I keep pestering?

Please dear Lord, increase my faith so that I’ll persistently plead with You like the widow. I’m worn down by my physical and spiritual battles. I’ve been enduring a barrage of troubles and heartache. Tired of the stress and weary from the fight, I’m ready to give up! I long for an easier way! I’m tempted to slip away to a place far from people, away from my problems and struggles; to a place where things are quiet and peaceful. But, Lord, I don’t want to miss the blessings You have for those who stick with You through the hard times.

By faith, I’ll hang around and incessantly cry out to You day and night. As I persevere, please develop my character, faith, and hope. In time, when You are sick and tired of hearing me You’ll respond with the right answer to my situation. Please have mercy on me, Your chosen child. Hear my prayers and answer quickly! Give me faith to endure and believe that You won’t put me off permanently. I know that You love me
deeply because of Jesus. Amen.

Is there something you have given up praying for because you feel like God is not listening? Do not give up! Be persistent like the widow. God may delay answering, but His delays always have good reason. As you persist, He will develop your character, faith and hope.

If a corrupt judge caves in to constant pressure, how much more will a great and loving God answer to us? If you know He loves you, you must believe He will hear your cry for help.

No comments: