Friday, November 07, 2008

My Favorite Things

Psalm 105:4-5
Look to the LORD and his strength;
seek his face always.
Remember the wonders he has done.

Lord of Heaven and Earth,
Enthroned in Zion, You reign forever! Exalted above the nations, there is none like You! Robed in majesty and armed with strength, You are the Writer of wonderful words, and the Designer of magnificent marvels!

Bitten by distress, discouragement and disappointment; stung by sin, suffering and sorrow, I simply remember my favorite things and then I don’t feel so bad.

You are my Eternal Father. In love, You blessed, chose, adopted and accepted me into Your royal family forever. (1 John 3:1, Ephesians 1:3-8)

You take great delight in me, quiet me with Your love, and rejoice over me with singing. (Zephaniah 3:17)

I am the apple of Your eye, and You cover me under Your soft feathers. Ah! Wrapped up in You, I am safe and warm in the cold, dark world. (Psalm 17:8, Psalm 91:4)

You send angels to watch over me and keep me from all harm. (Psalm 91:11)

I am an heir to the riches of Your glorious inheritance in Christ Jesus Christ. (Romans 8:17, Ephesians 1:18)

I am forgiven of ALL my sins; healed of ALL my diseases, redeemed from the dark dungeon of despair, crowned with love and compassion, and treated to a myriad of great gifts. (Psalm 103:1-5)

My name is written in heaven and a room is reserved for me there, in Jesus name! (Luke 10:20)

You remember me, and will bless me. (Psalm 115:12)

You are faithful to all Your promises and loving toward all You have made. (Psalm 145:13)

You will fulfill Your purpose for me. (Psalm 138:8)

Focusing on who You are, and who I am in You, is my favorite thing. When I claim Your promises my sadness turns to singing. I praise and exalt You for the gifts You’ve so generously given me in Christ Jesus! There is none like You, my Father and King! Hallelujah! Amen.

This week, in the midst of disappointment and distress, I found myself singing “Favorite Things,” from “The Sound of Music.” I changed the words:

When distress bites,
When sin stings,
When I’m feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things,
And then I don’t feel so bad.

My spirits were lifted when I began searching my Bible, looking up to the Lord and His strength, and thinking of the wonders of His love for me. These were a few of my favorite things. What are a few of your favorite things?

I encourage you to write them on a note card, carry them with you wherever you go, post them on the bathroom mirror and throughout your home and office. Then, when you’re bitten, stung, and sad remember them and you won’t feel so bad.

No comments: