Friday, May 09, 2008

Gaze of God

Proverbs 29:25
Fearing people is a dangerous trap,
but to trust the LORD means safety.

Psalm 33:18
But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him,
on those whose hope is in his unfailing love.

Great God Almighty,
You are bigger than my feeble mind can imagine. From Your majestic throne in the lofty skies, You look around at all the people You’ve made, watching over everything we do. You know us personally, deeply and intimately because You shaped each one of us with Your hands. As Your treasured possessions, You’ve promised us a prominent place in Your kingdom where we’ll live safely and happily ever after.

With this heavenly hope, why, O God, am I so consumed with fear of what people will think of or do to me? Forgive me for seeing people as “bigger” than You. Have mercy on me for allowing people to rule over me, giving them the right to tell me what to think, feel and do. Afraid of their thoughts and opinions, fearful that they will see my flaws and failures; I hide behind thick walls built with money, accomplishments, and busyness. Deep within my heart, I want to be perceived as great at something!

I’m sorry Lord for fearing the eyes of other people when the gaze I ought to fear is Your holy gaze. O Lord, You know everything about me. You have searched my heart. There’s no hiding anything from You. You know when I stand up or sit, when I come in or go out. I’m never, ever out of the sight of Your penetrating holy gaze. Therefore, I should tremble in fear of You, and Your holy judgment. When Your Word convicts me of wrongdoing and I confess my mistakes, You’ll pardon me generously. Entering the safety of Your presence, You promise to make me holy and unashamed by covering me with the blood of Your dear Son, Jesus Christ.

Please help me stay away from the dangerous trap set by man. O Lord, will You kindly give me a fresh perspective of who You are and who I am in You so that I can confidently live my life authentically before You and others? Please let my heart brim over with contagious joy as I step out from behind the wall of shame to claim the beauty of Your own holy name. Amen.


How is your private life different from your public life? Are you hiding behind a wall of shame; afraid of what other people will see in you? I encourage you to come out in the open, talk to God in the light of His Word, and admit your weaknesses. Entering into the safety of His presence, He will cover all your past, present, and future flaws and failures with blood of His own dear Son.

A clear conscience is a great blessing and one way to begin to root out the fear of other people. – Ed Welch, When People Are Big and God Is Small

No comments: