Friday, October 26, 2007

Distinguishing God's People

Matthew 25:31-40
Jesus told this story about the kingdom of heaven:
"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. "

Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.''I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

Jesus, Ruler of All Nations,
I eagerly anticipate the day when You come in splendor and majesty. Seated on the magnificent heavenly throne glowing with glory, people from every nation, tribe and tongue will gather in awe of You. The rich will stand with the poor, the strong with the weak, and the godly with the ungodly. Quickly, You’ll distinguish those who belong to Your royal family from those who don’t. At that moment, all other distinctions will disintegrate and we’ll be eternally divided.

I excitedly look forward to the great blessing that awaits me when You call me to come forward. Happily, I’ll receive my long awaited rich inheritance, the Kingdom of Heaven, provided by You, my loving Father. Purchased with Your priceless blood, this precious place has been prepared for me years ago by Your Spirit. It’s an incredible gift, You’ll present to those You recognize as Your children.

Please dear Lord, show me someone who is famished today, physically, emotionally, or spiritually. In Your name, I’ll feed their body, mind and soul. Lead me to someone wandering in the desert, withered, weary, and weak. I’ll lead them to Your fresh spring of Living Water where they can wash and drink until they’re satisfied. Open my eyes to see a stranger and I’ll reach out in friendship inviting them into the center of my activities. If I see someone in my circle of influence who needs clothed today, physically or spiritually, mercifully, I’ll give them the shirt off my back, and offer them Your rich robe of righteousness.

All around me people are sick and suffering. Lovingly, I’ll stop to soothe their sore souls. Many are imprisoned to their addictions and transgressions, forgotten and failed by a society who finds them demented, destructive and deceitful.Admittedly, I find these people unattractive, unappealing, and unapproachable. Please dear Lord, fill me with more of Your amazing love.

Humbly, I’ll lay aside my intolerance, indifference and insecurities to fulfill Your mission of mercy. Willingly, I’ll comfort the faint, raise the fallen, and point the forgotten to You, the One and Only Way to eternal life and everlasting happiness. I hope and pray that You’ll recognize me on judgment day by the way I treat the least, the last and the lost in Your name. Amen.

Are your eyes open to faint, fallen, and forgotten people? They are everywhere. Jesus clearly calls us to be missionaries of mercy. Who will you serve today in His name?

Today I am going into a maximum security prison to wash the feet of a fallen brother. Pray that I will be a blessing to him, and that everyone in that meeting room will see Jesus, our King.

No comments: