Thursday, April 12, 2007

Feed My Sheep

John 21: 15-19
When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."

Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."

The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!"

King of Glory!
I adore You because You are a God of second chances! Even when I fail You miserably, You redeem me, like You did Peter. O how I praise You for teaching me exactly how to test my faith.

First, I should ask myself, “Do I love You more than anyone else in my life? More than my family and friends? More than my church and my pastor? More than anyone?” I’ll show You that I love You above everyone else in my life when I take time to sit down and teach little children and new believers the stories and simple truth of the Bible.

Then, I should ask myself, “Do I love You more than anything else? More than my position, power, possessions, portfolio, plans, and pastimes?” You will know that I truly love You when I immediately put everything on hold to take care of Your sheep – those believers who have wandered from the flock and are lost, those who are entangled in the brambles of problems, pain and pressures, sickness, sorrow, and shame.

Next, I should ask, “Do I like You more than myself? More than my beauty and body, security and comfort? Am I willing to risk my life and reputation for You? Are You even my Friend?” Pondering these things makes me squirm, like Peter. Of course, Lord, You know all things and You know that I love You as much as I’m capable of loving You! I’ll demonstrate my love when I feed the starving sheep around me, mature believers, the Bread of Life, Your Word. Gladly, I’ll open my heart and home so that we can graze and grow together.

Finally, You extend to me the biggest challenge of all! Am I willing to endure the cross of submissive obedience to do Your will, even if it means suffering and hardship, and things I don’t feel like doing? O Lord, with all of my heart, I desire to seek Your will, Your Way, Your Word and Your wisdom so that I can claim the crown of victory for the glory of Your name!

Thank You, O God for teaching me these things! Now, empower me by the Holy Spirit to put my faith into practice so that in my life, Lord, You’ll be exalted and glorified. Amen.

Jesus was instructing Peter how to guard against neglect. He was saying, in essence, “I want you to forget about your failures and how far you drifted from me. You’ve come back to me now. I’ve forgiven, forgotten and fixed you. So, it’s time to get your focus off your doubts, fears, failures, and problems. And the way to do that is to minister to the needs of my people. As my Father sent me, I’m sending you.”

Is there a new believer or child in your life? Take time, sit down and talk to them about Jesus. Tell them the stories and simple truth.

Identify one hurting believer in your flock and tend to their needs immediately.

Spend time fellowshipping with other believers, but don’t just go for the grub, share what He’s given you.

No comments: