Friday, March 27, 2009

Healed by His Stripes

1 Peter 2: 21-24
To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.

"He committed no sin,
and no deceit was found in his mouth."

When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.

Jesus, Lamb of God,

Thank You for revealing the truth of my sin and my despicable, depraved condition that led You to the cross. Because You suffered for me, I'm called to suffer for You. It's the debt of love. Clothed in Your love and filled with Your power when others:

Strip and offend me, exposing my shame, I won't retaliate

Twist the truth and prick my mind with thorns, I won't be deceived

Mock and make fun of me for my faith, I'll stand firm and steadfast

Spew filth from their mouth that insults me, I won't spit back

Beat and hurt me, I won't seek revenge

Instead, I'll follow Your example and trust You, the One and Only Fair Judge who rules over all authority in heaven and earth. Like You, I want to love my neighbor and pray for those who hate me.

Thank You for personally carrying the wounds of my sins and the filth of my spit on Your body to the cross so that I could die to sin and live for what is right. For that reason, I humbly bow at the foot of the cross today, allowing the Living Water from the wound in Your side to purify the sewer deep within me, and the blood from Your wounds to drip down and cover every mistake I've ever made and ever will make. By Your wounds I am healed and by Your grace, I'm able to follow Your example, exercising self-control on my own journey to the cross for the glory of Your name. Amen.

The death was for us. He can heal us - even the most broken of us. He can meticulously pick up all the shattered pieces of our lives and put them back together. He can change us - even the worst of us. He can open the gates of heaven and give us a glimpse of eternity so that, by faith, we'll walk steadfastly toward whatever lies ahead. And, He will. He will if we humble ourselves at the foot of the cross. Have you? Have you turned to the One who can heal and restore you?

No comments: