Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Choice is Yours

Matthew 27: 16-20
At that time they had a notorious prisoner, called Barabbas. So when the crowd had gathered, Pilate asked them, "Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?" For he knew it was out of envy that they had handed Jesus over to him.

While Pilate was sitting on the judge's seat, his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him."

But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed.

Matthew 27:11-26


Dear Jesus,
You are King of heaven and earth, as well as, King of my heart. You absolutely rule over everything and everyone. Your proclaimed Word is sharper than the sharpest double-edged sword. It painfully cuts through my heart and mind revealing my most secret thoughts and desires. What it exposes is utterly disgraceful.

As I ponder this story I see my own ruthlessness in more ways than one. First, as an indecisive, insecure individual who asks, "What should I do with Jesus?" Though I consciously know right from wrong, I still seek public opinion in order to maintain my popularity and position in a corrupt society. Ignoring the advice of faithful friends who warn me of impending danger, I choose political-correctness over spiritual-truth. Then, vainly I wash my hands of the decision, blaming the outcome on others. Shame on me for being so spineless!

Second, I see myself as an insurgent in the crowd. On Sunday, I go to church with my comfortable Christian friends where You're well-liked and accepted. I perform all the right religious rituals and routines, but when I walk out the doors and into the wicked world where You're despised, I become an envious, indignant instigator robbing You of glory, honor and praise. In the face of an uprising, instead of speaking up for You, I speak out against You. Faced with a deadly decision, sadly, I too vote for the people's choice, Barabbas. Lord, have mercy on me for being so unfaithful.

Remind me the next time I think I'm better than anyone that I can wash my hands all I want and claim my innocence, but in Your eyes I'm equally guilty. I vote you in or out of my life and must accept full responsibility for my choice. On Judgment Day there will be no excuse. I will have to give an account for what I did with You.

Holy Spirit, fill me with more of Your almighty power to stand up for what's right in the face of adversity so that my life will praise and glorify Jesus, the One and Only True King. Amen.


You have to vote for someone. Under pressure will you choose Jesus or Barabbas?

Admit how much you're like both Pilate and the crowd. Determine to turn around, look Jesus in the face, and speak up for Him the next time you're confronted with a tough choice.

No comments: