Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Godly Instruction

Titus 2:12-13
For the grace of God teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope—the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.

God of Grace,
You are a most excellent Teacher. If only I’d stop, sit still and listen, You’d lead me by Your truth and teach me for You are the God who saved me! School me in Your ways so that I’ll turn my back on godless, indulgent living. Take my hand and show me how to take on a God-filled, God-honoring life while I wait for the blessed hope – the glorious appearing of the Immortal, Invincible, Incorruptible, Almighty King.

Surely You desire for me to be grounded in the truth of the Bible. Help me to carefully study, prayerfully consider, and aptly apply great wisdom so that I won’t be swayed by the smooth rhetoric of false teachers. Expand my knowledge so that I won’t be deceived by devastating circumstances. Show me how to think clearly when emotions are tugging on the strings of my heart.

In this heathen and hostile world, instruct me to do Your will. By Your good Spirit, lead me on level ground. Following You, I’ll exercise good judgment and carefully control my desires, tongue, and passions. Under Your divine discipline, I’ll shine brightly causing others to wonder why I seem so hopeful and happy.

God of Grace, You have been so kind and loving toward me. By Your matchless mercy, You generously gave me a rich new life along with a hefty inheritance. Because You are faithful and true, I eagerly expect that some day soon, You will appear in all Your glory, sweep me off my feet, and carry me away to live with You happily ever after because of Jesus. Amen


Are you struggling with saying “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions? If so, ask the God of grace to teach you. He desires nothing more than for you to be grounded in the truth. Then, open your Bible and carefully study it. Prayerfully consider the Scriptures you’ve read, and aptly apply them. Practice godly living while you wait for the glorious appearance of the King.

“Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” James 1:22.

No comments: