Monday, November 26, 2007

Up From the Grave

John 11:38-44

Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. "Take away the stone," he said.
"But, Lord," said Martha, the sister of the dead man, "by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days."

Then Jesus said, "Did I not tell you that if you believed, you would see the glory of God?"

So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me."

When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!" The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face.
Jesus said to them, "Take off the grave clothes and let him go."

God Over the Graveyard,
I’m overwhelmed by the length You go to show Your children how much You love them! You couldn’t stand to see me decaying in a cold, dark cave so You come to me, at just the right time, when the world was watching.

Compassionately, You ordered the tomb stone taken away. Unconcerned with the putrid smell of death, You cared only about me. It bothered You deeply that I was lay in a heap of ruins because of my sin sick soul. Stepping into the stinking shadow of our tomb, You loudly called me to come out. Hearing Your thunderous voice, I arose and came to You, tightly bound by bandages.

Risen from the dead by One voice, I trusted You to graciously breathe new life into me, revive my depraved spirit, and make me right in Your sight. Those watching witnessed a miracle as the ripped rags around me immediately unwrapped. Free from the bondage of my past, I’m compelled to go rescue the wrecked remains of others who are slowly decomposing in the same grim grave that once contained my own stiff corpse.

Please give me faith to believe that I will see Your glory when I hang out around the cemetery. Show me someone crying for release today. No matter who they are, or what they’ve done, I’ll eagerly walk in and set them free with the power of Your glorious redeeming name. Amen.


Realizing the sacrifice Christ made to step into the grave and redeem you, are you willing to hang out at the cemetery looking and listening for someone crying from the depth of their grave for release? The cemetery containing spiritually dead people is all around you. When you see and hear the cry, will you argue with Jesus like Mary about the stench, or will you compassionately go in despite the strong smell of sin and save souls for Him?

No comments: