Wednesday, May 16, 2007

God's Promise In the Rainbow


Recently, I was asked to speak to a group of women on the topic of prayer. Being a writer and not an experienced speaker, I was stressed out one night, wondering what in the world I was doing. Complainingly I asked God, “Who am I to teach women to pray your heart? How am I ever going to remember all this material?” In bed that night, tossing, turning, and tormented, I couldn’t rest.

The following morning I went to our sun porch, sat on my prayer chair wrapped in a soft blanket with my warm cup of coffee, ready to protest my assignment. Through the window I could see the silver sun rays beaming brightly through the ominous grey sky. Strangely, the rain began to fall and before I could utter a single word, I saw the most magnificent rainbow.


Then, I opened my Bible, prepared to thank God for His glorious presence and promise. Turning to John 14, Jesus gave me these final words, “The Counselor, the Holy Spirit, will teach you all things and remind you of everything I have said to you.”

Enveloped in the peace of His presence, the anxiety dissipated. Full of His power, I fearlessly stepped out of my comfort zone. Faithful to His promise, the Holy Spirit, indeed, reminded me of everything the Lord had spoken to me. Using Alvin Vandergriend’s Prayer Cycle, I enthusiastically taught an audience of about thirty women the Secret to Answered Prayer: Praying God’s Heart.

The most frequent comment I heard was, “Your face glows.” I wouldn’t know! I can’t see it. But, I would say that’s God’s glory shining through my heart. When Moses came down from Mount Sinai, he was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the Lord.

In his power and with persistent prayer support, I accomplished my mission and the people noticed my radiant face. To God be the glory!

The next time you see a rainbow, remember God’s promise.
Photo copyright of freefoto.com

No comments: