Monday, March 26, 2007

Serving the Bridegroom


Dr. Blackaby taught me that it’s important to process an encounter with God before getting back in the boat. In Mark 6 the disciples had just witnessed the miraculous feeding of 5000 when they immediately got in the boat and encountered a fierce storm. Jesus came to them on water, and even though they had just been with Him and witnessed a sensational wonder they didn’t recognize Him because they didn’t take time to process what had occurred.

Learning from that example, I chose not to get right back in the boat, but to stay on the shore and ponder the things that had happened this weekend. After processing my encounter, I’ll begin publishing Prayer Pal again. Instead, I’m writing this account of what the Lord has done so that it may be an everlasting witness.

Last week, God spoke fire into my heart through John 3:29-30.

The bride belongs to the Bridegroom. The friend who attends the Bridegroom waits and listens for him and is full of joy when he hears the Bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine and it is now complete. He must become greater and I must become less.

That joy is mine and it is complete! Amen!

I was going to this special occasion as a friend of the Bridegroom. Since my purpose was to simply serve Him wholeheartedly, it was crucial that I wait and carefully listen for Him. As long as I absolutely submitted to His agenda it was sure to be a joyous celebration.

The theme for our weekend was “Hearts Aflame: A Celebration of Praise.” God had ordained and orchestrated a weekend of thanksgiving, praise and worship.

Friday night the women arrived at our castle retreat (pictured above) with their heavy physical, mental, emotional and spiritual baggage. While they marveled at the beautiful atmosphere, they also grumbled and complained. Because these women were completely and utterly exhausted from their walk in this world, there was little heartfelt joy.

After dropping their heavy luggage in their spacious rooms, we encouraged them to drop their mental, emotional, and physical baggage in the prayer room, each having written on a sheet of paper the concerns they brought with them. A prayer team of five dedicated servants passionately served the Bridegroom by praying over these burdens all weekend.

Saturday morning worn out, weary ladies showed up for the first session on Thanksgiving with sour hearts. “The bed was too hard.” “I didn’t sleep at all last night.” “My room was too cold.” “Why aren’t we having live music?” Their inexpressive praise and worship was about to change as God used His beloved daughters to stir up love in their hearts.

Charlotte, who exemplifies an attitude of gratitude, was able to gently draw the women in with her sweet heart, and warm and welcoming words. She sent them out with their Bibles to discover the Lord’s teaching on thanksgiving. Returning an hour later with changed hearts and minds, they publicly expressed thanks to God for all kinds of things. God was beginning to work a miracle.

Before departing for a free afternoon, I challenged them to help one another turn their criticism and complaints to praise. While they were out playing, I was in the prayer room praying for the evening session that I would lead on Continuous Praise.

A Holy Spirit wildfire was burning in my heart because the Bridegroom had clearly instructed me to teach what God meant in Hebrews 13:15 when He said, “Let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise – the fruit of lips that confess His name.” I was prepared and confident that His hand was on me, when I came under the hands of three powerful prayer warriors. As they prayed over me, I had another extreme encounter with the Almighty. I again found myself in a ball on the floor, weeping and trembling as I completely emptied myself of ME to make room for more of HIM.

In that time, He made it abundantly clear that I was to tell my story of paralyzing fear that something tragic would happen to one of my boys. Someone was facing the same crisis of belief and needed to hear my victorious story. He also made it exceedingly apparent that I was to incorporate the Gospel message into my talk using various verses from 1 John 4.

Two hours later I left that prayer room completely spent, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I was absolutely dependent on Him and full of extraordinary passion, excessive energy and explosive JOY for the service I was about to offer the Bridegroom.

Needless to say, victorious words burst from my heart – words that set the captives FREE. Now, these women were ready to celebrate what God had done for them! It was a delight to watch as their complaining hearts were miraculously transformed by PRAISE. Even though we had technical difficulties, these women stood up with smiles on their beautiful faces and sheer joy in their hearts and began praising the King for Who He is and what He’s done for them.

Sunday morning, they were ready to come to the feet of Jesus and worship Him with all their adoring hearts. Cheryl, who by nature is quiet and gentle, led this session. Due to circumstances in her life, she came completely broken and was able to lead these women into the Lord’s presence where they dropped to their knees and washed His feet with their own tears. Oh how glorious it was to watch the Bridegroom perform a miracle at His wedding. It was like changing water to wine.

We concluded with an intense time of prayer for healing. Several women recommitted their lives to Christ. Everyone left different because they danced with their beloved Bridegroom. They came bitter and left better.

God has done great things for us and we are full of joy!

Glory, Hallelujah! What a privilege it was to serve at His special event.

No comments: