Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Excessive Giving

This is the first in a multi-part series on one of my favorite superheroes of the Bible, Barnabas, the Son of Encouragement.

Acts 4:36-37
36Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means Son of Encouragement), 37sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles' feet.

God of Wonders,
Your thrilling story, the Bible, is full of real superheroes – people who possess extraordinary power and abilities, along with a strong moral code including a willingness to risk one’s own safety in the service of good without expecting rewards or recognition. When called to duty, they respond immediately, eagerly and valiantly. One such hero is Barnabas, a quiet man remembered for his feats of courage and nobility. Named Joseph at birth, the apostles gave him a colorful new name to reflect his character – Son of Encouragement. A respected leader in the church, he set out to defeat his archenemy, Satan, using his strong faith, kindness, and
encouragement.

Barnabas is a role model to me. All around me, believers are fighting discouragement, deception and disappointment. The tireless mission of rescuing lost souls in a careless society has burned them out. Draw me like a mighty magnet to them. Full of Your extraordinary power, I will promptly step out in faith to back them up with support.


Help me to be generous in giving to meet the personal, physical, and financial needs of missionaries serving You in my community, country and world. As was the case in the early church, today’s special servants have given up their comfortable way of life and livelihood to follow You. They’re totally dependent on the generosity of the church, of which I’m a vital part, for financial support. Please dear Lord, show me who I can be a Barnabas to today. I will gladly sell some of my possessions, laying the money at their feet for the glorious building of Your kingdom. May my ministry of encouragement be so great that You would call me a Child of Encouragement because of Jesus. Amen.

In America we are blessed with excess. Unfortunately, we often use that surplus to fulfill our own never-ending wish lists, without giving any consideration to Christ’s servants who have given up their comfortable standard of living and financial security in order to serve Him. The Holy Spirit has recently made me acutely aware of servants of God who are required to raise their own financial support.

One such organization that has forever changed my life is Life Action Revival Ministries. If it weren’t for these humble servants of Christ, I would probably not be publishing Prayer Pal today. There are thousands of individuals and organizations worldwide who have committed their lives to serving the Lord and are counting on us for financial support.

From your excess, what can you sell to make a difference for the Kingdom of Heaven? Who can you be a Barnabas to today?

No comments: