Sunday, April 24, 2016

Watching God at Work: Making Connections


While I was representing Insight Management Consulting in Ocean City, MD at the Training Officers’ Consortium Annual Institute, God connected me with several key contacts, assuring me of my footing on this career path. Sometimes it feels like the way is congested and confusing. A door seems to open. I make seemingly important connections. The door closes, and I discover that I’m still standing at ground zero and haven’t really advanced at all. For a results-oriented over-achiever that can be quite frustrating. Then I remember that God defines success differently than the rest of the world.

Arriving at the convention center, we were meeting and greeting guests when a fine-looking bearded businessman approached me with a big bright smile, “Beth Rudy!” he exclaimed with excitement. “Brian Hammill.” He reached out his hand to shake mine. “Remember me?” How could I ever forget! The handshake turned to a friendly hug.

Brian and I had worked together a few years prior.  In fact, when he was promoted to a new position, I was promoted to his position. We took a selfie to show our friends that we bumped into each other at the beach. Talking the evening away, we reminisced about by gone days and mutual friends. Rick, Jane and Laurie report to him now. I learned how he earned the nickname Felix by our beloved boss Sherrie. David works with me now, and I was able to introduce him to David’s brother, Paul. What are the chances of meeting a former co-worker from Minneapolis in Ocean City, MD? God gave me a warm welcome by placing a nice guy from my past in my path.

The next day, I introduced myself to a spunky vendor named Chris. Since neither of us had meal tickets, I invited her to join me for dinner. Not only did we have a delightful and delicious dinner watching the brilliant reddish-orange sunset over the bay to magnificent sounds of the 1812 Overture, but we also discovered that we are both super achievers who left big careers to pursue our passion. Chris, the mother of two young adults like me, was a crime analyst with the FBI, climbing the ladder toward Senior Executive Services. Noticing massive inefficiencies and waste, and unable to influence change, she decided the organization and job no longer fit her character. Courageously, she walked away from the FBI to pursue writing, speaking and coaching. Her book, "Quit [Bleeping] Around: 77 Secrets to Superachieving" - is meant to help superachievers like us get out of their own way and step fully into their potential.
Surely the restaurant received an electrical surge while we were there; after all, two high-energy super achievers were in the same room at the same table generating momentum while sharing our similar paths and passions. I believe God connected us to encourage, inspire, and motivate one another.

As we were winding down on the third day, the exhibit hall was about to close when a sharp looking professional woman approached me to talk about our leadership development programs. Very intrigued, she handed me her business card and asked me to call her to schedule an appointment to further discuss her needs and our programs. Her card read: Director, Employee Development FEMA. Wow! Did God just connect me with a key decision maker at a 5,000 employee government agency?

Someone gifted me with a ticket to the send-off brunch the following morning. My intentions were to sit at a table at the back of the room, enjoy a nice meal, and then head back to my 16th floor condo overlooking the magnificent Atlantic Ocean to work. Wearing jeans, a bedazzled velour jacket, and flip flops, I planned to be obscure. Trading my brunch ticket for a blue folder emboldened with the letters FEMA, my imagination wondered if my new contact had anything to do with its contents. Sure enough, the Director of Employee Development at FEMA was the keynote speaker.

God provided the ticket, and changed my plans so that I would hear this inspiring woman talk about the incredible leadership programs she’s brought to FEMA. Our programs will fit like a hand in a glove. Wearing my jeans, bedazzled jacket, and flip flops I approached her afterwards apologizing for my less than professional appearance. I boldly told her I wanted to work FOR her. She was a high-energy, passionate, people developer like me. I don’t know if I’ll ever work FOR her, but I have a pretty good inclination that I will work WITH her.

Over four days, I watched God work to connect me with some really amazing people to encourage me to keep walking this path, pursuing Him, and success His way. I am incredibly blessed that God leads and guides me every step of the way. No encounter is by chance. He creates everything, owns everything, and makes everything work together according to His plans for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

No comments: