Friday, September 06, 2013

Job 38:1-3, 24-25, 35-37

Job 38:1-3, 24-25, 35-37
Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:
 "Who is this that darkens my counsel
       with words without knowledge?
 
 Brace yourself like a man;
       I will question you,
       and you shall answer me.
 
What is the way to the place where the lightning is dispersed,
       or the place where the east winds are scattered over the earth?
 
Who cuts a channel for the torrents of rain,
       and a path for the thunderstorm?
 
Do you send the lightning bolts on their way?
       Do they report to you, 'Here we are'?
 
Who endowed the heart with wisdom
       or gave understanding to the mind?
 
Who has the wisdom to count the clouds?
       Who can tip over the water jars of the heavens?

Holy, Holy, Holy are You Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of Your glory! Woe is me! I think I know it all and have all the answers, but Lord have mercy, I cannot speak. I'm confused, lost and completely in the dark. My knowledge is miniscule and my view is distorted. Who do I think I am to question You, Lord God Almighty, Ruler of All Nature? Like Job, I cannot explain such common events as summer storms.
 
Holy Maker of All Nature, You do whatever pleases You in heaven and on earth. You shroud Yourself in darkness, veiling Your face with thick storm clouds. From Your high and holy throne Your thunderous voice rumbles, commanding the lightning to electrify the earth. The whole world witnesses Your magnificent display of power and trembles. Holy, Holy, Holy are You Lord God Almighty.
 
From Your secret, sacred hiding spot, You come in awesome majesty. Opening Your mouth, You roar like a ferocious lion causing the wicked, wild winds to whip and whistle. At the clap of Your hands the rain crates from heaven tip, drenching the dry and desolate land. The whole earth experiences Your exuberance and exalts You: Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God Almighty.
 
O Lord, You are unsurpassable in power! Your sovereignty is unquestionable. An unparalleled genius, no one can ever outwit You. You are God above all gods! Have mercy on me for my unrestrained controlling character. It is You who endows me with wisdom. Apart from You I am an unintelligible fool!
 
Help me to always remember my insignificant, imperfect, and ignorant position before the immortal, invisible and incomprehensible King of Glory. With this proper perspective of You, I'll submit myself like the summer storms to Your supreme authority because You are Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty. Alleluia, Amen. 

God speaks through the summer storms. The next time you experience a scary storm think of God's challenge to Job. Just who do you think you are to challenge the Lord God Almighty? Consider Who is in control and submit to His supreme authority. Remember His right to your absolute love, the wretchedness of your offenses against Him, and your unquestionable need of His mercy and grace.

No comments: