Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ridiculing Laughter of God

Psalm 2:4-5
The One enthroned in heaven laughs;
the Lord scoffs at them.
Then he rebukes them in his anger.

Father in Heaven,
I picture You sitting on Your majestic throne in the sky watching the world go by with a twinkle in Your holy eye. From Your high and lofty perch You see prideful people pushing for position and power. Defiant individuals ignorantly try to outwit You with their outrageous schemes. The puny presumptuous plans of man must amuse You! After a while, You get good and mad, furiously shutting them up by cleverly chiding them like You did the Pharisees:

The picture of the hopelessly blind religious scholars straining a gnat out of their drink, but swallowing a camel is ridiculous. (Matt 23:24)

The illustration of the foolish Pharisees cleaning the outside of their cup so it sparkles in the sun, while the inside is covered in maggots of greed and grime is comical. (Matt 23:25-26)

When talking about entering the Kingdom of Heaven, You told many silly stories to make Your point. The one about the camel going through the eye of a needle is ludicrous. (Mark 10:25)

I can only imagine the sparkle in Your eye when You taught about the fault-finder. "Why do you notice a speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye, but not notice the big hunk of wood in your own eye? (Matt. 7:3)

There are many times when I’m rebellious and rude. Boisterously demanding control, I insist on breaking loose from You and doing things my own way. From Your throne in heaven, You must smirk at my stupidity. Then, You reprimand me through extremely embarrassing situations that make me look like an utter fool.

O Lord, when You look down on me from high in the sky, I don’t want to look so ridiculous, nor do I particularly want to experience Your rebuke! Please temper my arrogant attitude with Your sweet Spirit so that You will witness me joyfully worshipping You as I serve others for the glory of Your name. Amen.


When God looks down on you what does He see? Do you think He’s pleasantly beaming because of your joyful worship, or scornfully laughing at your foolishness?

Be careful! Use your head and learn your lesson from the past experiences of the Pharisees, or God might humiliate you.

No comments: